Thursday, May 24, 2012

Posted by Elie gh On 2:19 PM

Un Programming my TV

            This is my first post with a bit of nagging and sarcasm, but lately I’ve been fed up with people asking me: “did you catch that show yesterday? Or did you hear the news? “. My answer was and will always be: I do not watch TV ever especially the news and local channels. 

            People always seem a bit shocked when I say it and don’t believe me.  Also, even if I tell them no I didn’t watch it, they still tell me about the show. How the hell am I supposed to know what you’re talking about?
            The sarcastic part is when they start using references and quotes from sketches or comedy shows, I don’t laugh because usually I don’t know what the hell they are talking about. 

                I remember a couple of years ago when I was such a couch potato and a TV addict, I needed my daily dose of TV sometimes all afternoon. It mattered to me more then Facebook which was new at that time or MSN (PS: Twitter didn’t exist).

            Naturally, while my social life boomed and started working I had less free time to watch TV and was focused on more productive usage of my day. The bottom line is I’ve been cut cold turkey, since I lived in France for two years (studying abroad for my masters degree) I literally forgot about TV, I had two series that I streamed and that’s it. 





          When I got back to Lebanon earlier this year, I’ve never turned on my TV and the reasons are many:
  1. The evening news are always depressing (in every country but especially in Lebanon), they start with “good evening” and then spend an entire hour telling you how it’s not good. I mean really there isn’t any good news in the world?
  2. The soap operas and foreign series are stupid and it’s just gossip for housewives
  3. The local shows lack originality and each station has its own people and political party that endorse it
  4. No shows for young adults and teens, either you have cartoons or talk shows. So you have to be 5 or 40 and above to enjoy it 
  5. The same movies and re runs: ( in black and white : thanks Tele Liban) I mean how many times could you see Brave heart over and over 
  6. Egyptian movies are just a headache, it’s all screaming, yelling, lights, colors and I never understand a thing.
            I may be exaggerating but that’s my opinion, the only time I might consider watching TV would be while working out at home on the treadmill or something like that, National geographic wild is my only choice.
            Finally, I’m not asking to ban TV or for you to stop watching it but just try to find quality programming between the junk they bombard us with. Especially, the reality TV shows (oh god the Kardashians come to mind) I couldn’t even watch an entire episode; IQ of a chicken is the proper term. 

Stop watching people live the life you wish for and start working and living the life you want.

0 comments:

Post a Comment